Sunday, December 11, 2011

Update

Phew, I think we are finally up to date! Eleanor encouraged me to post photos from our move from DC to Ketchikan. I was feeling overwhelmed as we took our time setting up the home computer and didn't have access to our hard-drive and thus the photos. How spoiled we've become with our iPhone & netbook!

We are settling in quite nicely and enjoying living near family again after six years in Virginia. Though we miss our friends dearly, we don't miss the traffic! At our new home, we have different traffic, on the water in the form of cruise ships, barges, boats, ferries & float planes. And the airport is across the Tongass Narrows so we see the Alaska Airline jets coming and going throughout the day. We also see eagles & deer every other day, if not daily. I've been trying to keep up with exercising, and have a friend that I run with at least once a week. We had a black bear encounter that got our hearts racing, but thankfully her dog chased the bear back up into the woods so all we saw was bear buns!

The children are enjoying school & even though Oscar is in preschool it is located in the same building as Eleanor's so they get to see each other periodically. He gets to ride the short bus as there is door-to-door service for Preschoolers! I am working two mornings a week and really enjoy using my dental hygiene skills, meeting new people, seeing old acquaintances & my co-workers. Kristian is enjoying his new job as well. The pace of life seems to have slowed down a notch in a good way. That being said we are still on our toes!

We had a scare in October with my Mom going in the hospital for a week with a partial bowel blockage. The radiation treatment she had three years ago after her tumor removal damaged her intestine. She went to Seattle for surgery but her Dr felt she would be doing more harm than good so Mom is back home on a soft food diet. She had an incidence after Thanksgiving but otherwise is doing well. I think it is hard for her with regards to her diet, especially this time of year as there are so many wonderful things to eat. She was told she could slowly reintroduce but the green beans on Thanksgiving are proof that she must remain cautious. I am thankful to be here, close by her, should she need me.

1 Comments:

Blogger house of Boyters said...

life and God are good!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home